When was the last time you read and understood the insurance policy that covers your home or business?

Many people have difficulty understanding the technical language of the insurance policy and the complicated procedures they must follow to comply with the policy's terms. And, most people don’t realize that insurance company adjusters are trained professionals who represent the interests of the insurance company that employs them. You can protect your interests by employing an accredited Public Adjuster whose sole responsibility is to serve you, the insured.
Professional Loss Adjusters is typically retained for the adjustment of insured claims due to fire, wind, water, vandalism, and other perils. We serve commercial businesses, financial institutions, professional firms, homeowners, and the general public. When a loss occurs, you should give immediate consideration to engaging the services of a Public Adjuster, specifically one accredited by the National Association of Public Insurance Adjusters (NAPIA).

What is a Public Adjuster?
A Public Adjuster is an authority on loss adjustments who you can retain to assist you in preparing, filing, and adjusting your insurance claims. Public Adjusters are different from insurance adjusters because we advocate for you, not the insurance company.

What is meant by the term “accredited” Public Adjuster?
It means that the public insurance adjuster acts according to a strict code of ethics established by NAPIA and is an accredited member of the Association. NAPIA stands for the National Association of Public Insurance Adjusters. NAPIA members are experts in the profession of public insurance adjusting who have joined together for the express purpose of professional education, obtaining certification and promoting a rigid code of professional conduct and ethics.

Are Public Adjusters connected with insurance companies?
No. They are employed exclusively by you — the policyholder —not by an insurance company. However, many of our Public Adjusters are former employees of insurance companies. They understand how to read and interpret insurance policies and know the ins and outs of how the claims process works.

How can an accredited Public Adjuster help me?
You will have the advantage of expert assistance based on great experience in handling numerous technical problems. Our team of Public Adjusters, estimators and contents specialists relieve you of the many time-consuming and difficult matters involved in preparing and filing a claim — and help you to receive a prompt and fair settlement.

Can I prepare my own claim?
Sure, but keep in mind that our accredited Public Adjusters, who has years of experience and training, can handle your insurance claim with more competence. More specifically, we will assist you in the preparation of inventories, estimates and other factual proofs of loss. We handle all the necessary details for compiling and filing claims, as required by the terms of your insurance policies. We will also confer, on your behalf, with insurance company representatives and handle all matters essential to a proper and satisfactory adjustment. Many homeowners and business owners who have tried to settle their own claims have ultimately come to us because they find themselves in the weeds—going around and around with their insurance company and experiencing delays. We know how to deal with this and how to cut through the insurance companies red tape.

Why do I need help in filing an insurance claim?
The typical fire policy contains hundreds of provisions and stipulations — various forms and riders that are constantly changing and many complex details about your requirements in case of an insurance loss. Most people do not know or understand policy provisions and most do not realize that the burden of proof is on them, the policyholder. Most insurance company representatives actually prefer to work with an experienced Public Adjuster rather than an inexperienced insured.
A Public Adjuster not only has your confidence, but also that of company adjusters who recognize that they are dealing with a professional.

In the event of a fire or similar destruction of property will my insurance pay the entire loss?
This depends upon the type and amount of insurance you carry. It also depends on your expertise or the expertise of your representative, not that of the insurance company's adjuster. Many insurance policies may pay more than the amount shown on the declaration page. A qualified Public Adjuster working for you can determine everything to which you are entitled and may even be able to detect secret coverages within your policies.

Why should I hire a Public Adjuster to obtain what is rightfully due to me? 
Insurance companies offer to pay what is due to you as they see it. Public Adjusters are your exclusive representatives. With their experience and knowledge, they are better able to obtain a more favorable adjustment for you, the insured.

What is the extent of the Public Adjuster’s responsibility?
We assist with every phase of preparing and presenting your claim, as well as accomplishing an adjustment for you which is equitable and includes everything to which you are entitled under your insurance policy. Our goal is to help you recover as quickly and fairly as possible so you can return your property to its original (if not better) condition.

How do you determine the actual loss?
Our team takes a physical inventory, obtains all pertinent appraisals and makes sure all provisions in your policy are properly fulfilled. This often involves numerous steps of which you may know little or nothing, but can make a significant difference in the amount of the final adjustment.

What special help can your team give me with technical questions?
We are the experts to turn to when such matters arise. We are concerned only with your interests. Because of our broad experience and specialized knowledge, we prepare your claim so that you can recover to the fullest extent on your insurance coverages. It is up to you to prove your loss. There may be many questions and problems as to how the policy provisions can be applied in different circumstances. We will review all of this with you, working side-by-side with you until you approve the insurance company’s final settlement.

Are you trained specialists?
Yes. In nearly all jurisdictions, Public Adjusters must be tested, licensed, bonded, and authorized to practice his/her profession. All members are accredited by NAPIA. Furthermore, a Certified Professional Public Insurance Adjuster (CPPA) must have a minimum of five years’ experience and pass an examination to earn certification. A Senior Professional Public Adjuster (SPPA) must have a minimum of 10 years’ experience and also pass a rigid examination to earn "senior" certification. Both are required to continue their professional education to keep up with changes in the insurance industry so they can best serve you.

Will you help me receive a more prompt and satisfactory settlement?
Yes. We lose no time in complying with your insurance policy requirements to obtain and evaluate the facts and prepare the claim. The alert, knowledgeable and prompt service our team renders often preserves evidence that may otherwise be overlooked or destroyed. The more thoroughly and completely your claim is compiled and prepared, the faster we can accomplish an equitable and proper settlement in your best interest
Once a policyholder has witnessed the skill and knowledge of the accredited public insurance adjuster, he or she rarely will attempt to settle a claim without the benefit of their specialized assistance. Our most frequent sources of new clients are the recommendations of those they have previously served.

How much do you charge for your services?
Our fee is a percentage of the insurance company's settlement with you. By seeking to maximize your settlement, our services can save you well more than the cost of our fees. Plus, we take on all of the work of preparing and substantiating the claims, which frees you up to and helps you avoid the stress of dealing with the insurance company.

In the event of a loss, what steps should I take?
First, promptly report the loss to your agent or broker, or directly to your insurance company. You are required to do so according to terms within your policy. Next, immediately retain the services of an accredited Public Adjuster to act on your behalf and negotiate a fair settlement.

Do you handle claims other than fire?
Yes. We will assist you in any claims you may have due to windstorm, flood, hail, explosion, and any other insured losses that are sustained (inland marine, business interruption, rental income, improvements and betterments, commission and profit, reporting forms, additional expense, etc.).

Do you sell insurance or act as insurance agents?
No, if we were to do so, we would become a representative of the insurance company and would no longer represent you exclusively and independently.

What if I have a question about insurance coverage or the insurance industry?
State insurance departments are also the appropriate place for information about licensees, insurance law and regulations.
Links to State Departments of Insurance